I've been meaning to try clean eating for a long time. I'm not a fan of fad diets at all and avoid them at all costs, but I have been very aware of what I eat since having a child and want to be a good example for him, as well as looking after myself so I can keep up with him. Clean eating appeals to me as it cuts out all of the rubbish that all too easily finds its way into our diets these days, and focuses on nutritious foods. Although having said this, I've had my hand forced recently and am finding that I am having to eat better whether I like it or not.
My body has decided recently that it would be really fun to give me raging heartburn every time I eat something containing gluten, so I have been looking at healthy gluten-free options. I found that the majority of gluten free cereals were packed with sugar (one was 20g per serving!) so I had a go at making my own. I got the recipe from the Clean and Lean Diet Book by James Duigan. I won't be using this diet, as it seems very low carb and very high protein, which to me screams Atkins - but I will definitely be adopting some of the recipes where I can. I tried the cereal this morning and had to put raisins with it as it seemed quite bland - it just goes to show how much we rely on sugar for 'flavour'.
I have been put off clean eating in the past as it seemed to be a parade of exotic (and expensive) ingredients and chia berry pudding as the only breakfast option. As a parent of a child under the age of one, I am also strapped for time and cooking elaborate recipes is rarely going to be an option. But as I have researched into this further, I have found that there are plenty of quick and easy options that look tasty (the BBC website has some good options, so I hope this section of the site isn't closed down). Perhaps these recipes are a reaction to people wanting to try clean eating, but not having the time or resources to follow a more complicated route.
So over the last week I have been attempting clean eating. I am not sure how much I am going to stick to it, but I am aiming to eat clean 80% of the time and then I figure I can be forgiven for the other 20%. This post is just a quick introduction to what I have been doing and then I will keep you updated and do a post of how I am feeling in a months time (hopefully more energetic).
I am aiming for three healthy meals a day - but snacks may be where I have a problem. I am a big snacker, I am always starving an hour after breakfast. Any healthy snack suggestions that are filling will be welcome! Below is an example of the sort of thing that I will be aiming to eat in a day, I know it isn't 100% clean, but is the closest that I can get at this stage.
Shredded Wheat (shops own brand), raisins, banana, almond milk.
Veg and Hummus
Baked potato and Tuna, veg.
Courgetti Spaghetti, chicken or turkey mince, passata, minced garlic, Italian herb mix.
I won't stick to this exactly and will end up having extra snacks - this is why I need to find healthy and filling snacks pronto.
I also managed to get my hands on these Pukka teas when shopping last week - I have tried all three of them and they are very tasty. I am hoping to include them in my clean eating programme, having the Clean tea in the morning, the Womankind in the afternoon (as it perks you up apparently) and the Detox before bed so that it can work over night. I am also going to be exercising, but I will be doing a separate post on this as I will possibly be training for the Manchester Colour Runs soon.
Wish me luck and I will keep you updated!